Monday 16 September 2019

Late Summer Insects

Such a beautiful sunny day today, ideal for my volunteer litter-picking and wildlife recording patrol of the Dells along the Water of Leith. Plenty of birds about including sparrowhawks shouting everywhere and trees full of small birds including nuthatch and treecreeper.

But I was most impressed with the range of insects that were flying so late in the season including this beautiful comma butterfly

and nearby was this lovely Leucozonia glaucia hoverfly

The pictorial meadow (a planted meadow of flowers which provide colour through most of the year) in Spylaw Park was full of bees and hoverflies including Syrphus sp hoverflies

I couldn't take many photos as my camera battery ran out.....




4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the butterfly, the flowers are beautiful. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week ahead!

Jenn Jilks said...

We just had one hatch! Um, eclose, is the proper term!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The pictorial meadow is a fantastic idea! (And I hope you go back again with an extra battery ;j)...(That has happened to me too many times to count...). The pictures you did get are beautiful, especially for end of summer, as you say. It is wonderful that you volunteer to pick up litter.

Geraldine said...

Late summer, a bittersweet time of year. We've had an amazing summer here in Vancouver Island, such gorgeous weather. But I love fall, so I can't feel too bad about the passing of warmer days.😊

Your photos are lovely Juliet. Beautiful butterfly!