Friday 18 December 2020

Tree Following - news about the horse chestnut and plans for next year

 This year for Tree Following I've been following a horse chestnut in North Merchiston Cemetery, which I recently discovered has bleeding canker. 

I discovered this during a walk through the cemetery with a forestry officer from City of Edinburgh Council. (You can read more about that meeting here). On the same walk I chose a tree to follow next year. This is a lovely silver birch tree, all gnarled with age, and one of the trees that we have put a bird box on. So hopefully while following the tree I can also keep an eye on any bird family that chooses to nest there! 

 


 



For Tree Following and Nature Notes



4 comments:

Squirrelbasket said...

There is a lot of bleeding canker about here in our parks, too.
On a brighter note I am so pleased you have chosen a tree for next year. I hope that means I won't be alone in following another tree in 2021!
All the best for Christmas :)

Squirrelbasket said...

I look forward to meeting your new tree in 2021.
Have as great a Christmas as is possible under the current Covid circumstances!
And let's hope the New Year is better for everyone :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Squirrelbasket, I've enjoyed following this tree and look forward to next year's tree following. All the best for Christmas to you too!

Rambling Woods said...

We have an old cemetery here that serves as kind of a wildlife refuge all year long..I have to go and look at it...Michelle