Saturday 17 August 2013

The Burrowers

I watch little TV apart from nature programmes, The Simpsons and tennis from Wimbledon. But for all those nature programmes I almost never write about them here! However, given the number of bunny bloggers reading this, I thought I would talk about The Burrowers.

This BBC2 programme looks at the underground lives of three British burrowing mammals - the rabbit, the badger and the water vole. Presented by Chris Packham, the programme created entire artificial underground burrow systems with underground viewing chambers, separated from the burrows by strong glass. This means that the programme can give fascinating insights into animal behaviour never seen before.

It's well worth watching, there's lots of animal cuteness (tiny baby bunnies!, arguing water voles!) and interesting questions (will the lonely badger cub make friends with the other badgers? will the water voles learn to stop arguing?).

You can read a longer review over on The Rabbit House blog

If you missed it last night you can catch it on I-player (only if you're in the UK, I think) and there are two more episodes to go.

As ever, red text contains hyperlinks that take you to other webpages where you can find out more. 

7 comments:

Little Miss Titch said...

I so got to see that!xx Rachel

eileeninmd said...

I like watching the nature channels. This sounds like an interesting show on the burrowing animals. Have a happy day!

bunnits said...

Would like to see that

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

I love watching nature shows too and will look out for this if it comes to NZ.
Hope you are enjoying the weekend
hugs
Carolyn

The Weaver of Grass said...

I always enjoy Chris Packham's programmes Juliet - he is knowlegeable and also good at putting it across.

RG said...

Interesting concept and review. I suspect it would show more than I think I care to know!!!

Pigeonhouse said...

It’s a great programme and Chris Packham is indeed a real expert and excellent presenter. I have just one criticism, though – not enough rabbits! Who cares about badgers and water voles? Just show me the bunny!