Wednesday 7 August 2013

haiku and birds

dusty paths -
a butterfly flies
alongside me

***

Definitely high summer along the John Muir walkway at Musselburgh today. Lots of butterflies about.

When I got to the bird reserve on the old ash lagoons, I was delighted to see my first ever ruff. I had read that it was there, but had worried that with it not being in breeding plumage, I might not recognise it. Never fear, even without the magnificent breeding feathers, it's still a fine looking bird.

As ever, red text contains hyperlinks that take you to other webpages where you can find out more.

6 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

There has been a sudden huge increase in the number of butterflies here Juliet over the last few days - it is a joy to see them all flying around. The memory will last into Winter hopefully.

Bill said...

winding path
the butterfly and I
part company

(This was published in A Hundred Gourds in December 2011.)

Caroline Gill said...

A delightful flutter of a butterfly post!

RG said...

A shore bird!!

eileeninmd said...

Great bird, we have the Ruff here too. I would love to see one. Love the haiku and sounds like a great outing.

nmj said...

I have seagulls, squirrels, magpies and bumble bees in garden, but all I have seen this summer is one wee white butterfly that flits around, never really settling. I wish there were more! I saw the chalkhill blue butterflies on Channel 4 news other night they were gorgeous.