Saturday 23 April 2011

Hornbeams





Aha, as Spring progresses and I can recognise trees better I have been reminded that there are other hornbeams near the large, damaged hornbeam that I've focussed on so far for Tree Year. This is excellent news, not only for the presence of hornbeams along the Water of Leith (where they are a historically important species given that their wood is very hard which made them important for use in the mills that used to line this river) but also for my blogging for Tree Year as now I have better access to the details of leaves and catkins. Unfortunately last time I was there my catkins photos didn't really turn out too well. I've not quite got used to how best to use depth of field in my new camera and it often leads to blurring. I may collect some fallen catkins next time I'm along the river and photograph those. The make catkins are quite lovely at this time of year, though its still the chandelier female catkins that are the most beautiful feature of this interesting tree.



And look here for a photo of the large bee fly, which I've seen a couple of times recently, including along the Water of Leith earlier this week. What a lovely insect it is, isn't it! (I couldn''t get my own photo unfortunately!).



11 comments:

Forthvalley scribe said...

Ah, so that's what they were! There are several species of bumble bee in our garden, so I thought it was just another one! I'm enjoying your hornbeam posts this year _ I envy your ability to focus and get so much out of this project.

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful trees and beautiful sunshine!! Great spring shadow shots for the day! Happy Easter! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sylvia

Ms. Becky said...

your shadow shots are lovely, and I had no idea about bee flies. I really like the name of these trees - hornbeam. they cast some fine shadows. happy SSS, and have a great weekend.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Hornbeams...I wonder if they were the inspiration for Tolkien's Ents?

EVEN IN SHADOW

Even in shadow where there is no light,
One may take comfort and one may delight
That darkness has lost its power to thrall
Those who are living on this earthly ball.


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadowy Coyote Winds

Anonymous said...

I hope to find a hornbeam in our woods. The book of Maine trees says we have them here.
I saw a bee fly yesterday. If I have seen them here before I don't remembe, and I do think I would remember those wings.

Ralph said...

I like the name of the trees - leafless, they appear to belong to a deer or elk as antlers. The stark shadows reinforce that perception to me. Stunning Spring shadows that hopefully portend the warmth we crave after the snows of winter. Beautiful!

whizkid said...

apt name for these lovely trees. Hope to see your next photos with depth of field :)

Gemma Wiseman said...

What lovely scenes in this photos! The trees seem so welcoming for the spirit that needs some time with Nature for awhile!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

The Hornbeams are beautiful, such presence!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Simply beautiful!

My shadows, happy Easter!

EG CameraGirl said...

The hornbeams make such lovely shadows! I love the green and the sunshine too.