Sunday 18 October 2009

The Meerkats

The Meerkats is a lovely film from the BBC Natural History Unit that follows the early life of a young meerkat in the Kalahari Desert, in southern Africa, as he struggles to survive drought, getting lost and attacks from eagles and snakes. The cinematography is stunning, wonderful landscapes shot mostly in the magical light of early morning or early evening and black and white footage of meerkats in their burrows. The script, written by Alexander McCall Smith and narrated by Paul Newman, is over sentimental rather than genuinely informative. The meerkats are wonderful though, full of character.....

The Meerkats is showing at The Filmhouse in Edinburgh until Thurs 22 October.

9 comments:

Alison Wiley said...

Thanks for this good tip. Given I'm across the pond, I'll hope to get it from a library at some point. I love wildlife films, and I agree with you the narration does not need to be overtly sentimental. The animals' lives and characters stand up just fine on their own.

Jasmine said...

I think I may have seen this, r maybe it was one by Atenborough... Not sure. Whoever made it, I loved it.

steven said...

i'll have to duplicate alison's remarks. there has been a series on tv following a meerkat colony that was amazing. my whole family loves meerkats - a rare confluence of agreement let me tell you!!! steven

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I've seen some documentaries on meerkats. Funny critters. I didn't even know about them until I met my husband and he told me about them.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Alexander McCall Smith's work, so I know that I'm sure that this film must be good. I will keep an eye open for the film in the U.S.

Paz

Michael said...

Meercats are amazing. Although the cgi ones can be annoying.

dianasfaria.com said...

I should try and get this on netflix, sounds entertaining.
love your shadow shot!

Maria Berg said...

I sounds nice I would love to go back Edinburgh and see the movie and see the town again, Maria Berg Sweden.

RG said...

Probably all humans should be required to live in a place like the Kalahari for 3 weeks every year. Maybe then a LOT less would seem just fine!

Oh gosh ... my verification word is bible! I didn't mean to be SO profound!