Monday 5 October 2009

Jaguars Ripped my Flesh by Tim Cahill

This is a collection of short travel essays. A lot of them are adventurous - we have caving in Kentucky, skydiving, , swimming with sharks, watching the eruption of Mount St Helens at close quarters etc. There are also tales of epic travels in various south American countries. But Cahill is, for me, at his best, a true environmentalist. Life and Love in Gorilla Country is a wonderful close encounter with the gorillas in Volcano Country Park, Rwanda. It is clear that Cahill totally enjoys getting close to these magnificent creatures, though he doesn't shy away from describing all the pressures on their environment. The Shame of Escobilla is a powerful and moving account of the pressures on sea turtles in Mexico. The New Desert, An Old Woman describes how desert has come to what was once Owen's Lake, in California. Kayaking Among the Ice Children is set in Alaska, amongst the harbour seals and whales around Glacier Bay National Monument. All the stories are very readable and appeal to a wide range of tastes among those who like travel literature. But nowhere do jaguars rip flesh....

Jaguars Ripped My Flesh, Penguin Books, 1987

8 comments:

Oh said...

Kinda funny that we know a Tim Cahill so this review stopped me short at first. No, it's certainly not "our" Tim who is an author. Anyway, this sounds really good.

BTW, I've given you an award. Stop over at my place to pick it up!

Forthvalley scribe said...

Lovely chestnut leaves on your banner, Juliet

Caroline Gill said...

I love the chestnuts, too. The book is definitely one to look out for.

poefusion said...

This book sounds rather interesting. The caves I've visited in KY are worthwhile sights. You'd enjoy them if you could be here to see them. I've always been fascinated by how intricate they can be. We live near Carter Caves, KY.

Have a great day.

Unknown said...

Love your banner. I havent read the book but sounds like good. Happy week ahead :p

smartchic said...

first time here in your blog. nice site you have here. interesting title for a complilation of travel essays. will look it up.

Titus said...

Coincidence land! I was just talking to my husband about the Zappa album "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" an hour ago.
Book sounds interesting.

Larry said...

Great title though.It sounds like a title Clint Eastwood's Dirty Callahan character would come up with if he were a wildlife photographer writing a book.