Thursday 21 March 2019

International Day of Forests

Yesterday was International Sparrow Day, World Frog Day and International Day of Happiness, today is International Day of Forests and World Poetry Day!

Woodlands and forests are wonderful habitats for a range of wildlife and offer beautiful, peaceful places for people to wander round. Even a relatively small area of woodland can bring lovely encounters with nature - today I visited Musselburgh and in the small stand of trees near the bird hides (that overlook the lagoons) - I heard my first chiffchaff of the year here as well as seeing chaffinches and goldfinches. Later in the year this area is one of the best places near Edinburgh to see speckled wood butterflies.The male willow trees were delightfully in bloom today too


I love woodlands so much that I volunteer for two woodland organisations! As a volunteer for Water of Leith Conservation Trust, I patrol the wooded Dells along the Water of Leith once a week, picking litter, recording wildlife, noting how many people are out enjoying the area and recording any pollution or vandalism. It's a beautiful place and one I always enjoy visiting.




I also volunteer for Woodland Trust, mostly as a campaigner but I've also lead guided walks round the Dells for groups of people connected with the trust.

I also write poetry inspired by trees, including Corstorphine Sycamore about one of the iconic trees of Edinburgh.


3 comments:

sage said...

Forest and poetry, they seem to go together, don't they (I'm sure Robert Frost would agree).

Yesterday evening, I went paddling to observe the setting of the sun and the rising of the full moon--it was heavenly!

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

Sandy said...

Nice photos! I hope to see our area looking like that in the next couple of weeks. The snow is almost gone, and the willows are getting some color in the limbs.