Monday 1 May 2023

Tree Following May post

This year for Tree Following, I've chosen the beautiful cooking apple tree in Crafty Green Boyfriend's mother's garden. You can read the post where I introduced the tree here

The tree is around fifty years old and produces a lot of apples (last year was a bumper year and I gave apples to colleagues, neighbours, students in my writing classes as well as friends!). The apples are excellent in apple crumble or just stewed and eaten with custard or added to porridge. 

Here are some recent photos of the tree:

The cooking apple tree is the one in the background, in front of the shed. The tree to the right in the photo is an eating apple tree (the garden also contains two plum trees and a pear tree!).
Looking up into the tree
close-ups of the flowers just about to open


It's amazing to see how quickly the buds are opening, here is a photo taken on 20 April:

and the same buds a week later:


 





7 comments:

martine said...

Apple crumble has an important role in my family's history too. We had a huge cooking apple tree when I was a child and climbing it was a favourite pastime and the annual harvest was autumn's highlight. We wrapped them in newspaper and stored them in a tea chest.

Hollis said...

How wonderful to be able to collect fruit from one's own yard!

Hollis said...

Hello CGP, I thought I had left a comment, but perhaps not. Quite possible since I was rushing around getting ready to leave town. In any case, here's another try.
It's so great to be able to gather fruit in one's own yard!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Hollis, yes it's wonderful to have our own harvest of fruit!

Hi Martine, your apple tree sounds lovely. When I was growing up, we had a pear tree that produced a small harvest. We wrapped the pears in newspaper and stored them in the kitchen drawers. The tree is still there and producing fruit again after a few years of no fruit. My Dad still picks the pears and wraps them in newspaper and keeps them in the kitchen drawers....

Flighty said...

A good choice to follow, and it looks like this year will be another bumper year for fruit. xx

Squirrelbasket said...

Thanks so much for joining us again in the "follow" - yours is an excellent and distinguished tree!
I wonder if apples are the only fruit or veg classified as eating and cooking?
I look forward to seeing your posts again later in the season.
All the best :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Squirrelbasket - that's a very good question, I don't know! There's also a third type of apple classification I think - the cider apple!