Monday 15 March 2021

Spring

 Yellow flowers are a wonderful feature of Spring in Scotland. Today I saw the first lesser celandines of this Spring in Craiglockart Dell along the Water of Leith

Later in the day I saw my first small tortoiseshell butterfly of the year on a dandelion flower. This wasn't in the Dells, but, rather surprisingly on a roadside verge in a busy part of Edinburgh! 


The birds are all singing enthusiastically at the moment, which is lovely too. 

 What signs of Spring are you seeing at the moment? (Or Autumn if you're in the southern hemisphere).



6 comments:

Carruthers said...

I should pay more attention to butterflies. As things stand I just divide them into cabbage whites (the white ones) and red admirals (the colourful ones). Very lazy, I know.

Lowcarb team member said...

Isn't Spring a wonderful season, nice to see your photographs.
Our springtime blooms are doing well ... crocus and daffodils.

All the best Jan

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

You beat me with the butterfly, only saw my first one distantly today. Either a small tort or a comma

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love wildflowers! We have so much snow it will be a while until I see them in my area, but all the snow ill make them bloom even more beautifully,

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Carruthers, butterflies are well worth the attention but they fly past so quickly it can be easy to miss the detail

Lowcarb - yes Spring is wonderful

Simon - no commas for me yet, though other people in Edinburgh already this spring

Pat - I'm sure you'll have lots of flowers once the snow goes

Larry Kollar said...

I haven’t seen any butterflies just yet. Daffodils, dandelions, and other early-spring flowers are coming up, though. The viols started blooming in the front yard in the last day or so (I’ve often observed that a monochrome green lawn is boring).

Less-welcome signs of spring include threats of severe thunderstorms, although the first big round went south of us this time.