Thursday 13 July 2017

Lots of Hoverflies

It turned out to be a great day for insects yesterday, specially hoverflies. Just along the John Muir Walkway between the Mouth of the River Esk and Musselburgh Lagoons alone I saw probably 10 species of hoverfly. Here are some of them

Eupeoides corollae 

Eupeoides sp (probably Eupeoides luniger)


Long Hoverfly (Sphaerophoria scripta)

Marmalade hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus)

Pied hoverfly (Scaeva pyrastri)

Thanks to the UK Hoverfly Facebook group for help with identifying most of these to species level! Apart from the Marmalade hoverfly, these are all new species for me. There were also others that wouldn't let me photograph them!

I was also delighted to see a couple of burnet moths (six spot burnets I think), including this one

So it was a lovely day for insects and all my records will be going to the Wildlife Information Centre 
  which keeps records on the wildlife in this area.

11 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely series! I love themed posts!
We've had such a rainy June/July, our bugs are thriving!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty images. The insect is so colorful. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

sage said...

I am always amazed at those who can identify small insects.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thabnks Jenn, glad your bugs are thriving!

Thanks Eileen!

Hi Sage, it gets easier with practice!

Marcie said...

I have been seeing hoverflies here in the Great Lakes region if the US but haven't learned to identify them. Your post is very interesting, and also has some great photos.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Beautiful images! Unless the hoverflies are very easy to identify, I haven't a clue!

A Cuban In London said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

Lovely to see the insects you saw out on your walk - always fun to see what you can spot outdoors.
Happy weekend
hugs
Carolyn

RG said...

is the app. iNaturalist something you have heard of or used there? There is some encouragement here to use it for reporting many kinds of sightings but I know little about it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Simon - once you start it gets easier. I find the very small ones impossible.

Rabbits Guy - we have various apps, though I don't use them. I think they're very helpful.

Lowcarb team member said...

Great to see all of these hoverflies.
You did well in your sightings.

All the best Jan