Thursday 23 August 2007

Edinburgh International Film Festival - Faro

This Malian film follows Zan, who's made it rich in the city, as he returns to his village to find his father and to build new drainage systems for the village. The villagers believe in the power of Faro - the Goddess of the Waters and Zan's personal and professional ambitions seem to be thwarted by this belief. Its a beautiful film, full of sunsets over the river and a thought provoking one regarding the clash between traditional culture and modernity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crafty! I keep meaning to tell you: you simply MUST read Bill McKibben's "Deep Economy" - I have been reading it only since Monday and I cannot put it down! Only 50 pages left! For me: it puts into clear, delightful, often funny terms all the things I feel about what's wrong, environmentally and systemically, with our society today. I think you'll love it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

HI Melissa - that sounds like a great book! I'll keep my eyes open for it!

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying your posts about the Festival. I hope one day to go there in person.

Rose

xo

Crafty Green Poet said...

Rose - glad you've been enjoying these posts! You'd love the Festival if you ever do get there!

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. Saw a few Senegalese films earlier this year that also got me thinking.