Thursday 13 January 2022

Signs of Seasonal Change in the Dells

 I met a friend today to walk through Colinton and Craiglockart Dells today. We both commented on the unseasonally mild weather and nature seems to be unsure what season it is at the moment! 

The garden snails are still hibernating on masse in their traditional hibernation tree

while the hazel tree is covered with catkins (thanks Weaver of Grass for reminding me to start looking out for this!) 

We didn't hear song thrushes in the Dells today (it's a place where generally there are a lot of song thrushes) but I have heard these lovely birds singing in a couple of different places this week. Some good news about song thrushes, they were recently moved from the UK's red list of birds of greatest conservation concern to the amber list, though it's not been such good news for many other species. You can find out more in the State of UK Birds report from the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds).

What signs of Spring are you seeing at the moment? Do you think Spring is arriving early this year?


5 comments:

Jeff said...

Well, since winter only arrived here a week 10 days ago... I'm not quite ready for Spring. That may change if we get the 12-24 inches of snow they are calling for between late Saturday and Sunday. Or, I may wax my skis and enjoy!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Jeff, I'm not sure I'm quite ready for Spring either, it feels too early! Enjoy the skiing if you get the promised snow!

Jenn Jilks said...

Gosh, we're still in the deep freeze here! Good to know spring approaches somewhere!

Lowcarb team member said...

The New Year was unseasonably warm wasn't it.
This week we have enjoyed some cold sunny days, but also some that were foggy and damp!
Quite a mix.
In the garden the daffodils are beginning to shoot up and I am looking forward to seeing crocus in bloom ... perhaps in a few weeks time, we shall have to see.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend.

All the best Jan

Squirrelbasket said...

What a lovely thought, a hibernation tree for snails! I never knew...
All the best - and I will try to visit more often in 2022 :)