Sunday 11 April 2021

Pollution is Pants! Celebrate Second Hand!

From 8th to 25th April, #PollutionisPants celebrates the joy and environmental significance of second-hand clothes in the lead up to Fashion Revolution Week (19th - 25th April). 

‘Pants’ refers to the fact that pants are one of the few things you can’t get second-hand. 'Pollution’ refers to the fact that far too much wearable clothing ends up in landfill or in polluting incinerators. In the lead up to the COP26 Climate Change Conference, it's a good idea to think about the things we already do for the environment that we should feel good about and maybe should do more! Buying and wearing second-hand clothing is one of these.

#PollutionisPants is a joint initiative between St Andrews University student society 'Sustainable Style', Transition St Andrews and Big Dreams Little Footprints. The idea is to share photos of yourself wearing second hand or vintage clothing. 

I don't dress up much these days (for some reason!) and so I saw this as a chance to wear some of my more glamorous clothing! 

I bought all the clothing in these photos from second hand shops in Edinburgh (the skirt came from the Shelter shop in Dalry, I can't remember which specific shops the other items came from! The necklace and earrings are similarly from second hand shops in Edinburgh. The bracelet is a family heirloom and the slippers came from the Clothing Swap at Granton Goes Greener



 


7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Commendable and a good idea but as I am now unable to walk unaided I have to buy my clothes on line which does rather limit me in that area.

kjsutcliffe said...

Have you read the book Loved Clothes Last by Orsola de Castro, co-founder of Fashion Revolution? If you haven't it is really worth looking for, very inspirational :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Weaver, yes that's an issue for many people, though some second hand shops have an online presence.

K Sutcliffe - I haven't heard of that book, sounds very interesting I'll look out for it! Thanks for the recommendation

RG said...

I try to have my clothes choices so that when I am done with them they are mostly only usable for rag rugs or painting rags!! I'm a skin-flint cheap skate!!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Rabbits Guy - that's a great way to treat clothes in my opinion. I've upcycled torn clothes into items such as draught excluders, cushions and yes rags!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Iit has been so long since I “dressed up” that I’m not sure I even remember how to put on a dress. You look fabulous and that’s a wonderful way to shop.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Sallie - wow, thanks and yes shopping second hand is great fun!