Monday 18 December 2006

haiku - storms

On One Deep Breath this week, the timely prompt is storms. We're currently very lucky in Edinburgh at the moment as large areas of Scotland have been flooded in recent storms. I've seen several storms in my life, the most spectacular recently being on the Mediterranean coast during an otherwise beautifully sunny November holiday last year. But the two haiku below are about storms in Malawi (where I lived for two years). We used to have a papaya tree in our garden until a particularly wild storm:

torrential rain floods
through the drainage ditches -
papaya tree falls



One of the most amazing things about many storms in Malawi was the lack of thunder:

lightening forks
over the hills by the lake -
a dry, silent night



another haiku on storms on my Alter Ego blog here.

11 comments:

Roswila said...

Nice work on both of these. I can just see and experience them.

michelle said...

I love the movement in the first haiku...
from the flooding to travelling through to falling.

Tammy Brierly said...

These were wonderful! The second one was a very cool image.

paris parfait said...

These haiku beautifully capture the high dramatic impact of storms.

Tiffany said...

Both of these are wonderful. I especially like the second and the description "ligtening forks".

Anonymous said...

These are good. I can't imagine lightning without a thunder warning.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Good contrasts: floods and drainage ditches, lightening and dry silence. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

I really like all haiku on both sites, but

"lightening forks
over the hills by the lake -
a dry, silent night"

is my favorite. Well done!

Helen said...

Both of these are wonderful. :)

megan said...

lightening forks
over the hills by the lake -
a dry, silent night

this is so good I can feel the electric tension that fills the air during a storm.

Achilles said...

yes yes

I like the first one. I bet that tree fell down and you could see the roots. I can see it now.