Friday 7 July 2023

Tree Following July Post

This year for Tree Following, I've chosen the beautiful cooking apple tree in Crafty Green Boyfriend's mother's garden. You can read the post where I introduced the tree here

The tree is around fifty years old and produces a lot of apples (last year was a bumper year and I gave apples to colleagues, neighbours, students in my writing classes as well as friends!). The apples are excellent in apple crumble or just stewed and eaten with custard or added to porridge. 

Here are some photos of the tree from the beginning of June. This is a view of the garden from the house, the cooking apple tree is at the far end of the garden to the right: 

The fruit were already beginning to form - this photo is from 5 June

And this is an apple from 29 June 

And on 29 June it looked as though the tree was in bloom again! 

But it's not apple blossom this time, it's a rambling rose that grows through the tree! There's also a clematis that grows through the apple tree

 I was in the garden yesterday and saw a whole family of Long Tailed Tits, the six or seven (very cute!) youngsters were flying around excitedly. I don't know where they nested, I certainly haven't seen a nest in the apple tree.

For Tree Following

7 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I tried growing apple trees here, but they didn't work out. I am happy to see these!

Sal said...

How lovely! The Long Tailed Tits visit us too; I think they look like lollipops…and so we call them exactly that! It seems as if your particular Apple tree is useful for so much! I love the fact that the rose is rambling through it! 😁

Rainbow Evening said...

nice photos of apple in the beautiful garden....
love the flowers...pretty.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs of the garden and how good to see the long tailed tits.

All the best Jan

Heather said...

Beautiful! I'm following apple trees too. An old dessert apple that was here when we moved and two apples that we planted around 18 months ago. I also planted a rose Rural England at the base of the old tree earlier this year, but I think it will be a long time before it gives the same display as the one in your photo!

Flighty said...

It looks like being another good year for fruit like your apple.
Long-tailed tits are such delightful little birds. xx

Squirrelbasket said...

How lovely - more than just an apple tree with everything else going on in and around it.
Those long-tailed tits do tend to travel in groups... I haven't seen any for a while, although they are often here in colder weather.
All the best :)