Friday 8 May 2020

Tree Following Update

For Tree Following this year I've selected a beautiful horse chestnut tree in one of the cemeteries on our #DailyExercise route.You can see my first blogpost about this tree here.

This is a magnificent tree and its leaves are now fully open as are some of its flowers. But not all of them. It's very noticeable that the candles (that's the name for the groups of flowers) on the south side of the tree are much further on in blooming than the candles on the north.

Here is a candle on the south side of the tree a couple of days ago

and here's one on the north side on the same day

and these are typical. Though oddly the first candle to come fully into bloom was one on the north side, nestled right against the boundary wall of the cemetery.

Here are some more photos of this beautiful tree, taken over the last week or so








For Tree Following.



7 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for these lovely photographs.

Happy Friday and weekend wishes.

All the best Jan

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I've been puzzled by similar red candles on trees, apparently there is a red horse chestnut variety which I had no idea about

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thanks Lowcarb!

Simon, yes there's the red horse chestnut - it's a hybrid!

Hollis said...

Such a rich green, beautiful to see!

Erika said...

I haven't heard the word candle being used for inflorescences before. It sounds quite poetic.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Erika, as far as I know candle is only used to describe horse chestnut inflorescences

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

I love horse chestnut trees. I wish I could see one from my window. Thank you for bringing this one to me through my screen. Fascinating about the north and south side.