Saturday 28 March 2020

#DailyExercise in the Times of COVID-19 Part 2

The UK Government is, at the moment, allowing us out for one form of #DailyExercise once a day in addition to visiting the shops (as infrequently as possible), travelling to work (for those with essential jobs that can't be done from home) and medical emergencies including helping those who are self isolating.

You're not supposed to travel far from home for your daily exercise and we're lucky in having a small park and two cemetries very close to where we live for quiet walks. Here are some photos from the last few days.

It's been raining quite a lot and the coltsfoot isn't too happy when it does

They cheer up again when the rain stops, such pretty bright flowers

The horse chestnut buds are gradually unfolding

Lovely to see primroses

and the first few flowered leek coming into flower (though this is an invasive non-native plant, it has beautifully intriguing flowers)



 Two grey squirrels were chasing each other through one of the cemetries, this one thoughtfully took time out to pose for us


Several birds were singing, notably a distant mistle thrush and this robin

 And we saw a flock of about 10 waxwings! This is the latest I've seen these winter visitors still here though I read on Twitter they're still around in a few parts of Edinburgh.


Tonight is Earth Hour at 8.30pm, local time. You can take part by turning off your lights for one hour to show solidarity and support for protecting our natural environments. World Wildlife Fund have some ideas for activities for marking Earth Hour while maintaining social distancing - we'll be playing Scrabble by candlelight!

You can see Part 1 of my blogposts about #DailyExercise in the times of COVID-19 here.

And my post about staying close to nature in these challenging times is here.

3 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

I hope you and yours are doing fine at the moment. I can see that you used your one hour of daily exercise very well. :-)

Greetings from London.

Rambling Woods said...

I am trying to get out as much as I can, but now we have cold and snow...Michelle

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

I'm part of the 'shielded' group and am therefore instructed by the government not to leave the house at all for three months. As I don'ot have a garden this is pretty tough. I am trying to do the allotment a little at long distance by starting seeds off at home and getting others to plant them out for me when they are big enough. This is partly reassuring (life goes on) and partly frustrating (I can't see what's happening and have no real control). I am fortunate in having several trees near my house which I can see from the front door and from my windows but none of them are horse chestnut. It is quite painful going through a spring without getting sticky buds stuck to the sole of my shoe.