Wednesday 14 February 2007

Warm Heart of Africa

Inspire Me Thursday this week asks for art inspired by hearts, to mark Valentines Day. I was stuck for a while, caught between the sugary sweet of romance and the goriness of heart surgery. I quickly remembered my years in Malawi, the Warm Heart of Africa and put together this piece. The photo is of the Primary School in Malindi, the village where I lived for two years - education is after all at the heart of Malawi's development. The background is from a chocolate box (a subtle hint of romance there!) and the letters are cut out of a magazine.

8 comments:

Laura said...

cool heart collage, love the textured base - looks like hammered metal a bit. i share your love of poetry, here's mine on haiku:

simplicity and
brevity bound forever
i haiku, do you?

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thanks Laura, obviously the power of photography to make chocolate box corrugated paper look like hammered metal!

I like your haiku very much! Sums up the essence of the form!

Julia said...

Beautiful collage ! I like it !!

Anonymous said...

crafty- this is very sweet and I can see a lot of thought went into it. Btw, thank you for you comment on my heart piece. Expressing feelings around heart surgery is not an easy task for some. Peace.

carla said...

This is not just a pretty image - it's so meaningful and unique! Very nice!

creativelenna said...

I liked how you answered this challenge with some thinking about what was meaningful to you. Thanks so much for your comment on my hearts. I thoroughly enjoyed making them, sending them out, spreading some love!

Lenna Andrews, Avon, CT

Crafty Green Poet said...

Get zapped - yes I found it impossible to put together anything about heart surgery for this challenge though I did try.

Lena, carla, Julia, Thanks!

Rethabile said...

Yes, nice. I vote: good.