Saturday 27 January 2024

Great Spotted Woodpeckers and Scarlet Elf Caps

Yesterday, I walked through the Dells alongside the Water of Leith, carrying out my regular river patrol, recording wildlife and picking litter. 

As soon as I got into the Dells, I heard the sound of a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming. This is always a wonderful early sign that Spring is on its way! 

Though Spring is on its way, I saw several fungi species today. Many people think of fungi as primarily a feature of autumn, but there are fungi around all year. This time of year is a good time to see Scarlet Elf Caps and a few years ago I discovered a nice little colony of this lovely fungus along the walkway in the Dells. So, I had a look today and this is what I found:


There were other fungi around too, including Witches' Butter

and this, which I think is Crystal Brain Fungus 

I also found this beautiful twig, which had fallen from a tree in recent winds, showing a lovely selection of lichens (including the khaki coloured camouflage lichen) and mosses (including a Bristle Moss) 

2 comments:

David said...

Nice photos. I hope to lead Edinburgh Natural History Society through the Dells en route to Balerno on Saturday and expect that the Scarlet Elf Cup would be worth a look. Is it still near the walkway from the Canal just before it meets the path up from Bogs Bridge? Thanks, David

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi David, sorry I didn't reply to your comment earlier, but yes, if we're thinking of the same path, that's where it is and there's a lot of it at the moment.