Friday 21 May 2010

Reflections on the Water of Leith

On Monday, in this blog post here, I talked a little about my thoughts after a year of helping to look after the Water of Leith, a wonderful river in Edinburgh.

Rabbits Guy left these questions in the comments box and I thought they were worth answering in a separate post here:
1. Do you believe your efforts are worthwhile?
Yes! Although I complain about the rubbish and the dog poop, the area does look pretty tidy for an urban river. There are a lot of volunteers who patrol the river or who get together for occasional big clean ups and we do make a real difference. Also the wildlife information that some of us record is really valuable for the Water of Leith Conservation Trust and the Local Biological Records Centre to monitor the state of local wildlife.
2. How do you report pollution?
If I see a pollution incident I need to report it directly to Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) who have a water pollution hotline. Luckily I haven't needed to do this.
I'm delighted to feature in an interview over on Caroline Gill's blog here. She asked me some excellent questions, hope you enjoy my answers!

14 comments:

Naquillity said...

beautiful photos. glad you've not had to call the water pollution hotline.

i just came from reading your interview at Caroline's blog. it was personal and professional.

have a great day/ weekend.

Cezar and Léia said...

Wonderful post!
I hope to have the opportunity to visit this beautiful place some day!
Hugs
Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

Carolyn Ford said...

That IS beautiful.

Jane said...

Very peaceful, thanks for sharing Juliet:)

Sylvia K said...

Absolutely gorgeous reflections! I always love the watery ones!! And these are perfect! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Juliet!

Sylvia

cieldequimper said...

Having a hotline is a really good idea, I don't think it exists here. Your shots are so wonderful. I thought 2010 would be the year I'd make it to Scotland again, but unfortunately I might still have to wait to go in search of the Water of Leith.

Caron said...

It is sometimes easy to be discouraged, but any effort is worthwhile to someone or something at some point. I really believe that.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

I believe your efforts are worthwhile too - what was it that mother tresea said about we are drops in the ocean...?

Titus said...

They are glorious photographs. That beauty must make the effort worthwhile.

Gillena Cox said...

good work you do volunteering; great photos

much love
gillena

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

lovely - a double dose of reflecting - I saw a heron yesterday but didn't try to photograph it.

bunnits said...

This is certainly commendable work that requires considerable and, unfortunately, continual effort, if my observations about local polluters may be applied. A beautiful place. Thanks to the efforts of you and others who care.

Beverley Baird said...

What gorgeous photos of the Leith river! Great reflections!

Janice Thomson said...

Excellent interview with timely pieces of advice. You set a shining example Juliet with your efforts to lessen man's imprint on this delightful planet - would that more followed your lead.