Tuesday 3 June 2008

Gorgie City Farm

I'll be starting my new job with the Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens in a few weeks. I'll be based at Gorgie City Farm, which is just ten minutes from my flat.

Gorgie City Farm was established in 1982 using land from an old railway yard. It is a lovely space with fields of pigs, sheep, goats and ponies, pens of various breeds of poultry and a pet lodge with resident guinea pigs and rabbits. The pet lodge offers a pet boarding service, that Anya took advantage of a couple of years ago when we went to Italy. Gorgie City Farm also has a herb garden, a vegetable garden and a wildlife garden. Produce from the gardens are on sale and also used in the menus of Jemima's Pantry the farm cafe. Its a lovely place to spend a day and hopefully will be a very nice place to work!

5 comments:

RG said...

Thanks for the description ... we live in a fairly rural area where there are many farms, animal herders, and seasonal farm stands and markets, so such a set-up is not frequent. But I am not too aware of them in the big cities.

Anyway, hope you give us some updates from time to time!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Sounds like a great job for many reasons.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Rabbit's Guy = there will be updates and photos and bunnies...

d.moll- I think so too! I'm looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

What will you actually be doing?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a dream job to me. I am sure you will love it!