Monday 1 October 2012

Crunchy Muesli Fruit dessert

I mostly cook on the stove top rather than in the oven, but during rhubarb and apple season, I make a fair number of fruit crumbles (I think this is a British pudding, so if you're not sure what I'm talking about you can find out here). Recently though, our oven has been temperamental so I've needed to find alternatives, so that all those apples don't go to waste (though the poor summer weather has reduced the harvest from Crafty Green Boyfriend's parents' apple trees). So this is what I came up with (it saves on cooking time and electricity too, while being just as tasty as a crumble):

Crunchy Muesli Fruit Dessert

Stew your favourite fruit (our favourites are either apples or rhubarb with a few dates chopped up and added in). Add brown sugar and mixed spice to taste.

Spoon the stewed fruit into a bowl.

Add a few tablespoons of crunchy muesli (granola) (Try to make sure your muesli doesn't contain palm oil, don't let you dessert play a part in destroying orang utan habitat). You can also add extra ingredients to the muesli such as mixed seeds and nuts or grated dark chocolate.

Serve with yoghurt, custard or a dairy free custard alternative.

It's so delicious I think I prefer it to crumble! 


7 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

I was unaware about the environmental effects of using palm oil. Thanks for the information!

The Weaver of Grass said...

As I am trying hard to keep my weight down I avoid puddings like the plague Juliet, much to the farmers disappointment - as that means he gets no pudding also.

Anonymous said...

It sounds really good, and I like the fact that it is very healthy.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Yummmmy! Of course it's Fall here so no rhubarb right now, but apples are on and so good.....we try to go easy on desserts too, but apple crisps (I think that's similar to what you called a crumble) I still make because they don't have much sugar and no flour -- and can be good for breakfast or dessert. I use raw oats with a little sugar and butter, but the muesli would be perfect too.

eileeninmd said...

Sounds yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe. Thanks also for the heads up on using palm oil.

Glo said...

Sounds yummy ~ yes, fruit crumble is popular here in Canada as well. Do you ever use a slow cooker? applesauce made in a slow cooker is delicious.

RG said...

Works good with smushed up fresh blackberries with a bit of sugar on you granol or smart-start or ??? too!