Monday 29 October 2012

Monday Bunday - & the bunny stars of my novel are

You may remember, quite a while ago I blogged about an exciting opportunity for your bunny or bunnies to star in my novel (a piece of speculative fiction set in a future independent and flooded Scotland) or in a related short story.

I received several entries. Choosing the star for my short story was easy, Humphrey of Cottontails Baby just fitted perfectly into the story, which is now complete and out looking for a publisher. This story will also be worked into the novel as was my original intention (though for a while I had thought they would become entirely separate things).

Choosing a bunny to star in the main storyline of the novel proved to be much more difficult. Largely because the novel itself is proving to be more difficult than the short story and I've been struggling with the main storyline quite a bit. It's still nowhere near being finished but for all you hopeful bunny bloggers the wait is over.

I would have loved to include all the bunnies, I really would, but the winners are:

Sydney and Tyler from The Qi Papers. I love the fact that these two bunnies were separated and then reunited, it makes a lovely sub-plot to the novel, where the long standing community of the Scottish island needs to integrate with the incoming population of climate change refugees. Tyler also has a number of character traits that I'll be able to work into the story nicely. 

But all you other bunny bloggers may still have a chance for a small amount of fame. My story about a family of rabbits Anya and the Foxgloves was published recently and I may write some more stories in this series. The other nominated bunnies may feature in these future stories!

Oh and a word of advice - if entering a blog competition, it really does help if you make it easy to contact you in case of success!

*
Meanwhile, not bunnies, but cats in my haiku on Daily Haiku today. 

As ever, red text contains hyper-links that take you to other web-pages where you can find out more.


8 comments:

Jade said...

Yay for Spots Power! Can't wait to see the finished novel and short story.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Great news, I would be happy to read your short story and even happier to read it if it becomes a novel.

Several years ago, in the 80's, I think, I enjoyed a novel where animals, dogs, if I remember well, were the protagonists "Watership Down" I think was the title.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Congrats to the winners. Our boys used to raise rabbits (back in the last century ;>)! Look forward to further news of your publications.

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a cute story coming about the bunnies. Congrats on the published story.

Caroline Gill said...

From Haiku to short stories to the novel ... wow, Juliet, what a roll!

RG said...

A fine choice!

EG CameraGirl said...

Your cat gave you a mouse for your birthday? How "sweet." ;))

Crafty Green Poet said...

EH Camera Girl - we don't have a cat, the haiku is a rare example of one written about someone else's experiences!