Tuesday 13 March 2012

From maps to envelopes





We had some old, out of date maps hanging around in the flat so I thought I'd repurpose some of them into envelopes. Here are some of the results. All are slightly smaller than A5 so sneak into the post as small letters (note to overseas readers, the UK mail charges significantly more for letters that are larger than A5 size ( 210 x 148 mm / 8.3 x 5.8 in) - you can read about paper sizes here)!



I made these envelopes to fit notelets I've made from reclaimed office paper. I measured around the notelet and allowed a bit of a margin then simply glued the paper together to make the envelope. You can make envelopes like this out of any paper to fit the size of your card or writing paper! You can also put the white side of paper facing outwards for a more 'professional' look. Of course I need to add little white address labels to them before I use them!



I'm sharing this crafting idea as part of Crafting a Green World's new Green Crafts Showcase. You can join in too - find out how here!

13 comments:

PJ said...

I love maps and have two large atlases that I'm keeping just for purposes such as this. Beautifully and cleverly done, J.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

How much we could re-use things, a sea of re-usable things surrounds us with the quiet, and terrible, look of forgotten or discarded vast or infinitesimal fragments of our life...

( Maybe old maps have a dignity of their own with all their wiped out little indications of nooks and crannies in which past generations thrived...)

Ms Sparrow said...

What a great idea! I've saved every map I ever owns, among them countless old maps from National Geographic Magazine of countries I will never visit. But, also maps of the ocean floor, the moon and the rivers of the world. This is a perfect way to use things I'm loathe to throw away!

EG CameraGirl said...

I like sending notes out in fancy envelopes. I've used old calendars but I LOVE the idea of using old maps!

The bird cups arrived in the mail. They are so cute. Thank you very much, Juliet!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thanks Paula!

Tommasso - I agree there's so much re-use potential all around us. I think too like books, only some maps are for reuse like this, others can (and should) be appreciated as they were.

Ms Sparrow, EG thanks!

RG said...

Outstanding.

Now, if I could wrap this comment in a mapquest map!! =:<)

Megan Coyle said...

I LOVE this idea - and I'm always a fan of repurposed materials :) what a fun way to send mail!

Martin said...

Wonderful idea, Juliet, and such an attractive result.

Sandy's witterings said...

Some excellent recycling - maps have an air of quality about them and anything made from them takes a little of that feel away with them.

I notice you've managed to get my home on one of them :)

Megan - repurposed - never heard that phrase for recycled but I like it.

Greenpatches said...

What a wonderful idea. I might pass this idea on to my daughter. Or even have a go myself. We've an huge pile of unused maps hanging around the house!

Carol Steel said...

I love this as I hate throwing away old maps and hang onto them, not wanting waste them. Terrific idea. One of my friends frames the maps of places they've visited and particularly enjoyed, sometimes making a collage. Great conversation starters.

Anonymous said...

Aha, now I know what to do with that old road atlas! This is such a cool idea.

Unknown said...

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing your project at the Green Crafts Showcase! I hope you'll come back this month and share even more projects! Also, the top 10 features for this month's showcase will be up on Friday so be sure to check it out!

-Bonnie @ Crafting a Green World
www.craftingagreenworld.com