Tuesday 12 April 2011

Picnic for the Planet

This Earth Day (22 April), the Nature Conservancy invites us to celebrate the planet we live on with good food and great people. Picnic for the Planet is a great idea, combining earth-friendly food with getting outside and enjoying nature! (Of course in the UK there is the slight problem of the weather, but we'll need to plan around that one!).


The five main focusses for Picnic for the Planet are:


Eat Smart - learn about where your food comes from and what's in it (this page gives you some advice)


Eat Local - reduce the carbon footprint of your food and support local businesses


Eat Sustainably - for example avoid eating dwindling species of fish (you can find out about sustainable fish at Fishonline.)


Eat Green - eat more fruit and vegetables


Eat Out - have a picnic and enjoy the great outdoors as you eat!


Where would be your favourite place for a picnic?


I posted recently about ethical food choices in Edinburgh. You can read my post here.


(As ever, red text in this post contains hyperlinks that take you to other webpages where you can find out more!)

11 comments:

none said...

I learned a lot from their Eat Smart page. Picnic for the Planet is a great idea :) I love eating fruits & vegetables...refreshing.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I agree with all those "eat" rules Juliet. My favourite place for a picnic? Somewhere under a lovely spreading tree, with short grass, a lovely stream and no flies!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Anywhere in Scotland.......

Who could ask for a better place...?
:)

shoreacres said...

I tend to be a little nervous around "green sorts", as food and ideology don't seem a good match to me.

However! I just read your post and made a bit of a discovery. I DO take care to find out where my food is coming from and what's in it - for example, no chemical laden shrimp from overseas and no corn syrup unless it's just unavoidable.

As much as possible I buy from our local farmers markets, and have a source now for eggs and goat cheese.

I am eating more fruits and veggies, and am trying to move away from processed foods. (Time gets in the way here.)

And because I work outdoors, I eat outdoors nearly every working day!

So despite thinking I'm not "with the program", I actually am. That's a fun discovery - any time you want to come to Texas for a picnic we'll have one!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I haven't had a picnic in years. What a fun idea!

Lucy said...

I'm going to follow the link to fishonline where I think I'm signed on anyway) to check out winkles - which would be a wonderful seashore picnic food, cooked on a picnic stove...

Kay said...

I am hoping the sun will be out so I can eat outside!!! The roads to the high mountains won't be open so I think a picnic in a Salt Lake City park and hope the tie-dye T shirt guy is there and the drummers!!!

RG said...

We'll be doing similar events here!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Think my favourite place for a picnic would have to be in Devon, specifically Dartmeet. So beautiful there and the wildlife you see too is AMAZING!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Sounds wonderful Juliet. My favorite place for a picnic is anywhere my friends are. Sure would be great to share a picnic lunch with you.
xx, shell

Anonymous said...

Picnic on the beach :)