Tuesday 6 May 2008

Botanic Gardens


Yesterday was a Public Holiday and we went down to the Botanic Gardens. The weather was warm and sunny, the gardens were bright with blossom and loud with birdsong. There are a lot of large trees in the Botanics which you can stand under and watch all the birds flying around, hopping from branch to branch, they somehow seem not to notice you're there. Apparently 50 species of bird were seen in the Botanic Gardens last year.

The photo is of an ash tree, which we saw walking back from the Gardens, the light in it isn't very good, but its one of my favourite trees at the time of year, it looks quite bizarre, don't you think?

8 comments:

Scot said...

nice

Janice Thomson said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit and relax for a few hours. I can just imagine all the beautiful flowers and hear the birds singing sweetly.

Thanks for your inquiry into the kind of woodpecker in my last post. Because of that I found out I actually had the honor of coming face to face with a species rarely found on Vancouver Island. It is a 'Red-breasted Sapsucker' The appropriate authorities have been informed and a photo sent of this unusual sighting.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great place to spend time. Is that an evergreen? It is pretty against the blue sky. The leaves are just starting to come out here, so I won't be able to see the birds so well until fall.

Rethabile said...

50 species sounds like a lot of birds even for a controlled environment. Must be lots of fun.

Unknown said...

Juliet,
Thank you for sharing your poetry and your excursions! I so enjoy reading your posts. I am so excited about RWP that I can't wait for the next prompt! I love how you bring awareness through your writing! Have a great day!
Christina

Anonymous said...

Ah, the glorious Ash. One of my favourites too.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Janice - thanks for letting me know about your woodpecker - how exciting!

Gardenpath, no its not an evergreen, those funny looking fronds are its flowers! (I said it looked bizarre!)

Rethabile - I know, 50 is a lot! I've seen about 30 or 40 species there in my visits (not all at once though!)

Scot, TOCCO, selma - thanks

Bill said...

You make me want to visit Edinburgh