Sunday 4 May 2008

Dalkeith Country Park

Dalkeith Country Park is a lovely area of woodland near Edinburgh. At this time of year, the woods are carpeted with bluebells (see above), wood sorrel and lesser celandines. The birds sing loudly, we heard blue tits, great tits, chaffinches, blackbirds and robins. Looking up into the trees I could see loads of small birds, most of which didn't come any closer but one goldcrest flew into the lower branches and bowed to me, showing the yellow crest on its head. Later a mistle thrush loudly shouted at us.
It was nice to see in the ancient oak wood, that oak seedlings had been planted and protected from the grazing cows.
Later in Dalkeith town we saw our first swifts of the year. I've just seen more outside our window here, which may mean spring is really here at last.
You can read about another trip we made to Dalkeith Country Park (and see more photos) here.

6 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

I saw swallows the other day too - what a charming bird. I love watching the woods unfold its flowers and ferns and grasses every spring. The ferns are beautiful this year since they did not get flattened by the winter snow - living in a rain forest they are the most predominant of plant life.
I think I mentioned before how much I really like these particular posts Juliet :)

polona said...

i love woods at spring, all the blossoming going on before the dense foliage unfolds and the fresh green when it does :)
thank you

Lucy said...

Thanks for your visit to mine, which I've only just noticed, not least because it brought me back here!

Pearl said...

what an idyllic place to rest the mind and body.

this is my patch said...

I am always so pleased when I see a goldcrest in my garden, they are as sweet as a wren. x

Anonymous said...

Your blog consistently makes me sentimental. I so enjoy hearing about the British birds and the walks through the woodlands. I can't thank you enough.