Wednesday 25 April 2007

Translated into Spanish

I'm delighted that Nia has translated my eco-angst poem 'Towards a Dictionary of Archaic Terms' (published on this blog a few weeks ago for Poetry Thursday) into Spanish. You can read both the original and the translation here.

This week's challenge on Poetry Thursday is to write a villanelle. One day I will, there are lots of environmental issues that would make a good theme for a villanelle. However it will take me a good long while to write one as it is a form that for me is very difficult to get right, largely because of the amount of repitition required. So for today, my offering to Poetry Thursday is a short poem I wrote a while ago that can be found over on Alter Ego.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it, even with the alterations!

I told my boyfriend about both versions and their verisimilitude. Assuming today's life expectancy, the people working on your dictionary would be born between 2030 and 2070. A woman in her seventies, according to you, would have last seen or heard of a forest or big urban park somewhere around 2050. Could we destroy most of what's left of the earth's natural beauties in forty years?

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thanks Nia for translating and for commenting! Yes I was overly pessimistic, I hope at least! I have however read serious articles that estimate that rainforests at least in some areas will be functionally extinct by the year 2100. So I'm not outwith the bounds of all possibility. Plus if people see the date, it gives a certain shock which may prompt more thought?

Anonymous said...

Crafty, just wanted you to know that I plan on posting your sestina on the 30th. :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Brian, thanks for letting me know - I'll be saure to check it out! It's a lovely poem by the way, thanks for writing it for me!!

Catherine said...

That's a nice compliment, to have your poem translated. Just catching up with your blog, I hope Edinburgh is as beautiful in the autumn as it is in the spring, we will be there in late September for a day or two

carole said...

I enjoyed reading your poem. I am fortunate enough to live in an area where there are lots of trees.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Catherine, yes it's a great compliment to be translated! Edinburgh is just as lovely in autumn as it is in spring, you'll love it, I'm sure!

Carole, thanks and long may the trees remain!