Monday 13 July 2020

Repairing a Chair

As a society these days we tend to be too eager to throw things away and buy new rather than repairing old things. Some things of course can't be repaired but it's a good idea to try to see whether you can get something repaired or even try to do it yourself. It can be quite satisfying to be able to complete a repair yourself.

Recently, I posted about how I'd used an old sock to repair the arm rest on a chair. In that post I mentioned that my next repair project would be to make a cover for the seat of another chair.

This is the sort of state this other chair had got into

and as I examined the whole chair I realised that making an actual cover for the seat wouldn't be the best solution. So to start with, I used some of the material used for stuffing toys to replace the lost foam from the seat

I sewed that onto the seat and then covered it with some felt (I had just enough of this felt to cover both damaged areas of the seat)

So now the chair is more comfortable and is protected against further damage. I may or may not make a cover for the whole seat.

3 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Good job!
I'm finding more people are recycling these days. We have a Free or Barter Board for our wee town. It works well for us!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Well done, it looks great. Have a great day!

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done !

All the best Jan