Thursday 31 October 2013

Robert Louis Stevenson by the Water of Leith

A handsome new statue commemorating Robert Louis Stevenson was recently unveiled outside Colinton Parish Church (where Stevenson's grandfather was a church minister), very close to the Water of Leith.

There's an inscription on the statue taken from his essay collection, Memories and Portraits, which reads: “All through my boyhood and youth, I was known and pointed out for the pattern of an idler; and yet I was always busy on my own private end, which was to learn to write. I kept always two books in my pocket, one to read, one to write in.”


 On the churchyard wall behind the statue there's a map showing a Robert Louis Stevenson trail that you can follow round Colinton Village.

Meanwhile inside the churchyard there is a yew tree, where Stevenson had a swing when he was young.

You can read more about the statue on the Water of Leith Conservation trust website.

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

what a neat piece!

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

He has always been very popular here in Italy, maybe one of my very ( few!) readings ( in Italian only it goes without saying ) in the first fifteen years of my life!

Little Miss Titch said...

Happy Halloween!xx Speedy

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It is a beautiful place to remember this wonderful author.

RG said...

It's about time! Great work.

NatureFootstep said...

a fine statue. :)

Bill said...

looking up
from my book . . .
windblown leaves

Ms Sparrow said...

What a great sentiment. When I was on a tour in Scotland ten years ago, the guide pointed out an inn where he was supposed to have done some of his writing. I believe it was under a bridge near the Firth of Forth.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have just read about Stevenson Juliet. I think you make far more of your writers in Scotland than we do down here - that is such a good thing.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

A wonderful statue to a great Author. I liked that he had two books in his pocket, one to read and one to write in.
Happy weekend
hugs
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

oh wonderful - good on him :)