Monday 18 February 2013

Are you a Litter Hero?

As many readers of this blog know, I volunteer for the Water of Leith Conservation Trust once a week. I walk a length of the river, recording the wildlife I see and picking litter.

I'm one of several volunteers for the trust, who pick litter either once a week on a regular patch or on the large scale clean ups that happen throughout the year.

But we're not alone! A growing number of people across the UK are picking up litter as their way of making a difference to the place they live! You can read more about this on the Guardian newspaper website.

It was from that article, that I found out about Litter Heroes - a website dedicated to celebrating the people in the UK who pick litter.

I know that some people who read this blog also regularly pick litter - please feel free to share your stories in the comments below!

Oh and it would be even better, of course, if no-one dropped litter in the first place......

*
Judith O'Reilly picks litter on a number of occasions in her book A Year of Doing Good, which I review over on my Shapeshifting green blog

*
Meanwhile, I'm delighted that one of my items (made from re-purposed materials of course!) features in this Etsy Treasury

And my poem sleep deprived has just been published on Kumquat

As ever, red text contains hyperlinks to other webpages where you can find out more.

5 comments:

eileeninmd said...

It would be nice if people would just stop littering. But it is nice to know more people care and are picking up the litter. My hubby will take along bags on our walks and picks up the litter. I also wish people would stop throwing their cigarettes out their car windows. It is a fire hazard. Great post, have a happy week!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

We have a few nature trails and hiking paths in my area...and it makes me so sad sometimes to see the aftermath of people littering in the beautiful forests...

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

"Sleep deprived" is puzzling and powerful. I think the final line between paranthesis masterstroke.

Ms Sparrow said...

My son lives near the Mississippi River and participates in a spring cleanup of the river banks every year. He said they find tires and used appliances and other trash. It makes one angry that there are so many people who treat the earth as a big garbage dump.

RG said...

My litter pickup is about every 6 weeks along the 1/4 mile road fronting a piece of local conservation-protected property (by our local Land Trust)for which I am the steward. I think keeping it clean encourages people not to litter it!

I liked the poem - all that in between asleep and awake.