Sunday 3 June 2012

Coming Soon - Edinburgh International Film Festival

The Edinburgh International Film Festival runs this year from 20 June - 1 July. As last year, I have a press pass, which I hope to be able to make full use of! To get myself into practice, I've posted a some film reviews recently in this blog and over on my Over Forty Shades blog, you can read them by following the links below:

Free Men.

Robert Mugabe - What Happened?

Even the Rain.

I thought that last year's film festival was the best ever - the highest number of films that I had ever wanted to see in a festival and the fewest disappointments in those I did see. This year's programme looks to be equally promising, here are just some of the films that most appeal to me (just follow the links to find out details and screening times):

Bestiaire - a meditation on the relationship between humans, animals and the environment

Demain? - the life story of the Uruguayan poet Delmira Agustini

Fukishima: Memories of the Lost Landscape.

Future My Love - an exploration of alternatives to monetary capitalism

It's the Earth Not the Moon - life on a tiny island in the Azores

No Man's Zone  and Nuclear Nation - two more documentaries about Fukushima

Rentaneko - a comedy about a woman in Japan who rents out cats to people who want company

As long as I can get to all the press screenings I'll review all those films on this blog (and perhaps some more, there really are a lot of excellent films in this year's programme!).

As ever, text in red contains hyperlinks that take you to other webpages where you can find out more.



4 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

Hope you enjoy the Film Festival, always a lot of fun attending these.
You are going to be busy.

Have a happy new week
Hugs
Carolyn

RG said...

Rest up!

Howard of Belvedere Mountain Express said...

I got the brochure today, and was disappointed to see that a ticket to almost any film costs £9, and you need to buy eight tickets to get a measly 10% discount. Therefore I shall give the festival a miss this year, apart from maybe going to some of the cheaper ‘Best of the Fest’ screenings at the end.

In 2010 a single ticket cost £8.50, but the EIFF Saver Deal allowed one to buy four or more tickets for £6 each. It’s a great pity that this offer was scrapped from 2011 onwards.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Howard, £9 is less than £2 more than a regular evening ticket to the Filmhouse, which if you choose your films wisely makes it reasonable value (ie if you're like me and choose obscure but excellent films that never make it back to our screens).

I agree about the saver deal though.