Thursday, 15 September 2011

Speed eating squirrel

The weather has been perfect today. Still, sunny and mild (with a chill in the shade). I had a lunchtime walk up Corstorphine Hill with Crafty Green Boyfriend. We were entertained by this squirrel. Yes, I know it's blurry, but that gives some indication of how busily it was feeding!

The yew berries are now out, they're such a lovely sight (though poisonous, so don't touch!).

Up above our heads, a group of house martins were twittering excitedly, they'll be leaving us soon. There were also a lot of what looked like chiffchaffs in the trees, they'll be going back to their wintering grounds soon too.

for Nature Notes


The Weaver of Grass said...

Our house martins are still here too - they are so busy practising their skills and I am sure they will go any day now.

HKatz said...

I love the name chiffchaff.

There are so many squirrels where I live that they've taken on personality; they do so many delightful things to watch.

Congrats on your poetry and short fiction publications :)

Michelle May (Shell) said...

What a cute little squirrel. I still love them even though my finger hurts every time I see one from when I got bit last year rescuing the baby squirrel from the pool.
xx, shell

Christina said...

I enjoy the squirrels. They wait for me in the morning to put their food out and as soon as I walk far enough away they are down and grabbing up the peanuts!

Greenearth said...

What beautiful animals.

Congratulations on your publications.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

What a sweet squirrel and I suppose they are storing up food for winter.
Always great to see your posts.

Happy weekend

ashok said...

Thanks for visiting my blog...You have n interesting blog.. cheers

Rambling Woods said...

Oh I know the migration is already underway.....fall is really here...