Thursday 20 January 2011

Studying the Stones

smooth black mudstone, crystals embedded in it sparkle as I turn the stone in my hand

for A River of Stones

One of the perks of teaching evening classes with the Office of Lifelong Learning at the University of Edinburgh is having the opportunity to study evening classes myself for free! This year I have chosen to study The Geology of Scotland's Hills, which is a totally fascinating course. Scotland is one of the most geologically diverse places in the world and our tutor is both very knowledgeable and an excellent communicator (and brings boxes of rocks to the classes!).

And in other news

I had a ten minute reading slot last night at The Golden Hour at the Forest Cafe in Edinburgh. I read alongside Kirsty Logan, JL Williams, Lipsynch for a Lullaby and Zebra Eye. It was a very entertaining evening and I enjoyed my reading - the audience seemed to do so too!

Whole Earth Foods recently held a 'Good Life' competition and they have just announced their winner on their website here. I'm delighted and honoured to have been chosen! (For readers based outside the UK, The Good Life was a 1970s sitcom in which the characters Tom and Barbara Good tried to live a back to nature lifestyle. it was in the 1970s that Whole Earth Foods launched their peanut butter).

12 comments:

Sam Pennington said...

I'm jealous! I'd love to study geology. So far I've not had the chance, but I will one day.... Until then I'm a collector and hoarder of interesting stones!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Congratulations Juliet - and I do like the sound of all the things you are doing.

Caroline Gill said...

I, for one, can't keep up with you, Juliet . . . but it's lovely to catch a flavour of all the things you are doing and all your many (well deserved) successes. Can you believe it's still only January?!!!

none said...

Congratulations on winning!! :-) That stone is stunning, too.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Congratulations on winning the contest! Do you get a prize?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. What an example you are to all of us!
That geology class sounds very interesting.

Anonymous said...

You deserve to win - what an example you are to everyone - I'm very impressed with your dedication (and I loved the Goodlife).

Larry said...

It sounds like an interesting course and congratulations for winning! Your reminded me of some thing I could be doing differently.

RG said...

Congrats on being selected! What a committment!

RG said...

Oh - and Scotland is where modern(?) geology study began!

Glo said...

I'd like to add my congratulations to you for your win, as well. I remember enjoying watching The Good Life (it was broadcast here in Canada as well).
The geology course sounds fascinating and what a great way to increase your awareness of the very ground you walk on ... or see in the distance...

Eliza said...

Congratulations on your win! I always watched 'The Good Life'... it was very funny and had the feelgood factor.