Wednesday 12 January 2011

Cherry Tree

This is the usual view we have of the cherry tree across the road. There are three cherry trees outside the building in the photo, but this is the one we have the best view of. There used to be four trees but one was chopped down when the building was converted from a Day Centre to flats. The tree is on private property and in the middle of a residential street so I won't be getting as close to this one as I can to the hornbeam which is my other tree I'm observing for Tree Year. The cherry tree doesn't look much at this time of year, but in spring it is beautiful with blossom and there are often birds flying around it.

I will introduce the hornbeam once I have been able to visit it again, the path along the river is still very icy in parts, despite the general thaw we've had recently!

12 comments:

Titus said...

Really looking forward to a whole year with the Cherry and the Hornbeam. What a brilliant idea!

Christina said...

Nothing prettier than a cherry tree in the spring! Stay warm.

bunnits said...

neat

NicoleB, Kuwait said...

It's good to have at least some trees around in the neighbourhood!
I love cherry trees in spring! :)

RG said...

I bet the birds love the cherries!

Oh said...

What a treat to have a glimpse of your view and Spring is not far away - (I must believe this particularly now as the now lies 4 inches deep and it's crazy cold. Yes, look forward to seeing the hornbeam!

Marvin said...

I'm looking forward to future posts featuring this cherry tree, especially the spring blooms.

Glo said...

I join with the others in following your cherry tree and hornbeam (I'm not familiar with that tree). I have a cherry tree in the garden so it will be interesting to compare the rate of growth :) I also followed your link to the Water of Leith and found that interesting.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. The snow parrot stuck around for a few days, but sorry to say he's been melted and washed away ;)

Caroline Gill said...

'Of all the trees . . .' Housman, one of my favourite poems. I look forward to watching this develop. I'm still trying to 'find' a tree, as we don't have one in our garden, (just bushes and shrubs).

Bill said...

A great project, Juliet.

Eliza said...

Oh, I can just imagine that cherry tree when it's in bloom!

Anonymous said...

yeah Cherry Tree - looking forward to seeing it develop! Welcome to the project!