Friday 28 January 2011

The Cruelty Free Bun Blog pledge

Annette from Dragon House of Yuen recently posted about a petition from the BUAV (British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection). Along with the petition there is a pretty pink rabbit, whose mission is to travel the world collecting petitions against cruel cosmetics. Annette promised to send Miss Rabbit to the first blogger who signed up to host her on her journey. I was lucky enough to be that first blogger and as Annette and I both live in Edinburgh, we met up for a cup of tea while Miss Rabbit was handed over. It was lovely to meet Annette and Miss Rabbit is now happily making friends with our toy rabbits (here she is pictured with Minigaff, who comes from the village of that name in the west of Scotland and a rabbit themed cushion I bought in a local second hand shop). I have written a rabbit themed haiku on Miss Rabbit's ears and signed her too!

summer storm
the sweet smell between
my rabbit's ears

Miss Rabbit looked through my toiletries bag and noted that I have very few cosmetics at all, but she particularly likes the following cruelty-free items:

Yaoh shampoo and conditioner - these are British made from organic, vegan ingredients with the minimum of artificial ingredients and not tested on animals

organic beeswax lipbalm handmade by Edinburgh-based medical herbalist Karen Ballantyne (who doesn't seem to have a website)

Miss Rabbit is currently having a rest, but is probably then going to visit another blogging friend of Annette's. If you would like to host her in the future, please let me know in the comments below and we'll see what we can do! If you do host her, it would be great if you could take a photo of her with other rabbits (whether pets, soft toys or rabbit themed soft furnishings!), let her pick out a couple of cruelty free items from your toiletries bag and then pass her on to the next person.
As ever, red text in this post contains hyperlinks to other websites where you can find out more.

7 comments:

Annette Tait said...

Juliet it was wonderful to meet you!! and to entrust cosmetic bag explorer to you!! I hope she is getting lots of tea and biscuits?
and I would love to know your haiku on her ears?
many thanks!
and here's to a bunderful trip for Miss Rabbit!

Crafty Green Poet said...

HI Annette - plenty of tea, biscuits and leafy salads for Ms Rabbit! I've now edted the blogspot to include the haiku!

Cobi said...

I've been using cruelty free products for as long as I can remember. We're very serious about this in my family. We've had buns, guinea pigs, rats and hams for pets and still have a couple of middle aged cats. I cannot understand how people can hurt them for cosmetics when there are good alternatives.

RG said...

This is going to be fun and good to follow!

Kay said...

I love this..I think I will do a painting of buns and include her in it..just for bunny fun.

Lavender Rabbit said...

I love following Miss Rabbit around, it's a very fun and awesome project. If Miss Rabbit is willing to so some serious travel, we would love to host her in Texas. I don't know about tea and biscuits, but I am sure I can come up something :)

Charlotte said...

It would be lovely to have Annette's rabbit down here in Herefordshire at Cottontails - I will hop over and post on her blog too.

I have been visiting Annette's blog on and off for a year or so and someone reminded me about it on a link on my facebook page - I read about the new touring bunny and that she was heading off to you first. I kind of love this small rabbit world we live in :)

Great that you saw the long tailed tits. Being newish to bird watching I had to look them up when they first visited here last Autumn - a little gang of them :)

Robin pic is great too. Clever boyfriend!

Love Charlotte
xx