Thursday 22 June 2023

Nature in North Merchiston Cemetery

 Fox and Cubs is so called because the mature flowers ('foxes') are usually seen alongside buds ('cubs'). it's a very pretty flower and is currently in bloom in some of the grassy areas of North Merchiston Cemetery


I wrote in a recent post, about how important grasslands are, not only for wildlife but also as they offer natural solutions to the climate crisis. Their value for wildlife is easier to show in photos, of course! 

White Clover is also in bloom in the cemetery at the moment 


offering vital food for bees and other pollinating insects. The other day when I walked round the cemetery, there were actually a few bees around, but only this one Buff Tailled Bumblebee allowed me to get a photo. 

This Speckled Wood Butterfly was much happier to pose for photos 


3 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice to see the cemetery wildlife.

All the best Jan

Sal said...

Clover is wonderful for the bees! I love patches of clover in my lawn.
We seem to have more bees in the garden, this week…and I also spotted some butterflies today..in particular a beautiful Painted Lady. We have a bumble bees nest in an old bird box! The hedgehog is visiting every night too. 🦔

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Jan, it certainly is, thanks!

Hi Sal, yes bees love clover! Glad you're seeing bees and butterflies in your garden. I rarely see Painted Ladies though we did have a huge number of them in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. I very rarely see hedgehogs either, so very nice to have one visiting your garden!