Thursday 9 September 2021

Early Autumn Hoverflies

Well after a few days of ridiculously hot weather (the hottest September days ever recorded in Scotland) it's now cooled down and is raining. 

The hoverflies and bees certainly enjoyed the recent unseasonably hot weather.  I saw very few hoverflies over the summer, but I've seen good numbers over recent weeks. The other day, Crafty Green Boyfriend took his annual volunteering day and joined me for my weekly patrol of the Dells along the Water of Leith.

We saw a very good selection of hoverflies, and he took some excellent photos, including these photos of two of my favourite hoverflies: 

Leucozonia glaucia 


 The batman hoverfly (Myathropa florea)

We'll be seeing fewer and fewer hoverflies and bees for the rest of this year as the weather gets colder, but hopefully we'll see good numbers again next year.


1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have had them in my garden over the past week too. Lovely photographs.