Thursday 1 July 2021

Beautiful Butterflies in Musselburgh

 I went for a walk with a friend round the Musselburgh lagoons today. It was very warm and sunny, which brought out the butterflies and day flying moths! 

It was lovely to see several common blue butterflies, a species that despite its name I don't see very often 

Also several small skippers, which are currently extending their range into Scotland, these were the first I have seen of this lovely little butterfly

There were also ringlets, meadow browns and large white butterflies. They were joined by a number of five spot burnet moths

There were also lots of birds around - eider ducks at the beach, reed buntings and whitethroats singing in the scrub and skylarks singing in the air.

for Nature Notes.




4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

You paint a nice picture and the blue butterfly is exquisite.

Jeff said...

Beautiful Living where I do now, I am treated with all kinds of birds and insects. At night, the sky is filled with lightning bugs, which at times makes the hickory tree by the barn look like a Christmas tree.


I am enjoying Robert MacFarlane's "The Old Ways." Have you read it? I think you'd like it because it's all about walking and how we encounter our world.

Rambling Woods said...

I love finding butterflies....Michelle

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Weaver, thanks! The blue butterflies were a delight...

Jeff - lovely description, thanks! I've not yet read The Old Ways but intend to do so.

Michelle - so do I!