Monday 25 February 2019

Early Spring

Lovely to see the first lesser celandines of the year alongside the Water of Leith

Close by there were some elf cup fungi, which I've never seen before here, I can't imagine how I've missed them, they're so bright!

Admittedly these weren't in the stretch of river that I patrol every week, picking litter and recording wildlife. I'd had a light litter picking session in my zone and so had extended my walk which quickly filled up my litter bag but let me see these lovely things and also two goldcrests in a nearby tree.

While I was in the Dells (my regular patrol area) I had come across this wonderful tree trunk, which I've seen before of course but never looked at so closely, there are at least 5 types of moss in there I think



I also found this patch of a strange fungus and another moss

I'm trying to find out what the fungus is but if you know please feel free to leave its name in the comments! The same goes for any of the mosses too.....



4 comments:

sage said...

Nice shots. It has been warm (and foggy) here, unlike much of the US that has been enjoying a winter storm.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits said...

Can't help with identifying the fungus, sorry, but I love your tree trunk photos. The first one one almost looks as though you were flying over a forest when the pic was taken! Beautiful nature :-)

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

We've had the celandine a little while now, not as much as other years though

Jenn Jilks said...

I cannot believe it! We're so frozen!!!
Lovely to see the colours.