Tuesday 21 March 2017

A Day for Poetry and Forests

Today is UNESCO World Poetry Day and International Day of Forests! The Woodland Trust gives several ideas at this link for how to celebrate the latter!

This morning I did my regular patrol of the Dells, a wooded area along the banks of the Water of Leith (the photo above is from late summer a few years ago!). I am constantly amazed by how rich this area is in woodland cover and bird-life, as it was once part of Edinburgh's industrial heartland with several mills, producing paper and other products, lining the river banks.

It's a very inspiring area for poetry, though i didn't write anything on today's trip, not least because I hadn't realised it was World Poetry Day until I got home!

My poem Corstorphine Sycamore features one of Edinburgh's most famous trees, in another area of the city.


4 comments:

sage said...

Beautiful and it's interesting how nature can, sometimes, recover! I didn't know today was a day for poetry and forest. Too bad I am scheduled to be inside most of the day... btw, I am gearing up to being in Scotland in late June (Iona) and then traveling around a bit in early July.

Marcie said...

Every day is something, isn't it? World Poetry Day! I would never have known. Don't know if I will fit writing poetry into my to-do list (already too long!) but will perhaps read over a few favorites in honor of the day. Thank you!

Dani In NC said...

I didn't realize that today was World Poetry Day until after lunch. I've been sifting through old Poetry Thursday posts on my blog and ran across a comment you made on one of my poems 10 years ago, which brought me here. Not many bloggers who participated in Poetry Thursday are still blogging. Good for you for keeping it going!

Caroline Gill said...

I enjoyed reading your poem... and hearing about the white lady and the fiddler, Juliet. Thank you for your kind comment. I'm a bit behind with catching up... and am just off to click your tree link.