Saturday 22 October 2016

Easter Craiglockhart Hill

We had a lovely walk today round Easter Craiglockart Hill - here are some of our photos

View from the edge of the Napier University campus to the cliffs of Wester Craiglockart Hill

 beautiful red maple tree
 view across Edinburgh from the top of Easter Craiglockhart Hill
 a bench conveniently situated at the top of the hill

lovely autumn colours in this horse chestnut tree

cute moorhen on Craiglockart Pond

this poor tree is dead already, but if it wasn't it wouldn't have much longer left being invaded by honey fungus like this!(Edited to add: Not all fungi kill trees, but honey fungus does).







8 comments:

RG said...

Love the photos!

Have you read Lab Girl? A lady - famous I guess - who studies plants.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Rabbits Guy - no I've not read that book, I'll look out for it!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

That Maple Tree is so vivid!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a lovely walk ... and I enjoyed it with you, especially that beautiful red maple tree.

Hope the new week is a good one for you.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I didn't know that fungus would kill a tree (if it weren't already dead) ... Wow. I see similar ones on trees pretty often and all I ever thought about was how interesting and different they were. The walk was really pretty and I enjoyed feeling like I'd been along for it!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Sallie, not all fungi kill trees, but the honey fungus is deadly (I've re-edited the post to add a comment about that).

Lynn said...

That maple tree is a bright jewel. Lovely.

Janneke said...

Wonderful walk and beautiful sceneries, autumncolours are at their best now. I did not know it is honey fungi who destroys trees.