Tuesday 10 November 2015

work in progress - felt chopstick bag

I've got quite a lot of felt and also embroidery yarns from the stash of craft supplies I've built up from what various friends have given me. So I'm going to make a few chopstick bags from these materials. Here's the first one, this is the back, there's a button on the front.

 
It's still a work in progress (I need to blanket stick round the top), but when it's finished I'll add it to the Crafty Green Poet Etsy shop. Chopstick bags are the most popular items in the shop!

Updated to add, it's now in my Etsy shop - you can see it here

A chopstick bag like this is an ideal way to carry around a pair of re-usable chopsticks so you can avoid having to use the disposable ones that are the usual cutlery choice in many Chinese restaurants. (Many disposable chopsticks are made from the products of forest destruction, though to be fair some are made from waste wood from the construction industry). There's a slightly odd article here  about how taking your own chopsticks can help save the environment, which gives you some idea of the scale of the problesm caused by disposable chopsticks.


3 comments:

RG said...

I'm glad you posted this! Reminds me that the button on the one you made for me some years ago is needing some sewing reinforcement. I better do it first thing in the morning because we are taking it out in the field later on - going to be wet and windy and we will be on the beach!

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow, I never would have thought about this - so thanks for the link.

Your chop stick bags sound and look a great idea.

All the best Jan

Leora said...

How pretty - a bag for your chopsticks!