Friday 20 February 2015

Redwings



Redwings

For weeks now their crouching run,
a moving field of Scandinavian beauty,
stained red and eye-browed.

Lately they flocked and wheeled,
small groups fusing,
now fifty strong,
calling and whistling.

Yesterday they flew away,
north wind on their wings,
frost on their beaks.

An emptiness on our fields.

**

(The poem was published in my pamphlet Unthinkable Skies. I took the photo in the Meadows, Edinburgh on 13 February 2015. It's been a good winter for redwings)

**
Meanwhile I've been restocking and updating the beach finds section of the Crafty Green Poet Etsy shop. More to come in the near future too! 

6 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Pretty poem and a lovely bird! Have a happy Friday!

Gingi said...

Ugh, my comp is glitchy.. I'm trying to comment but not sure if it's going through.. I'll try again!

Lovely post!! Thank you so much for sharing! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

TexWisGirl said...

very nice.

Little Miss Titch said...

love the poem and the the bird,so pretty,xx Rachel

Bob Bushell said...

The poem is so special, I love the Redwing.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Such a beautiful bird and a lovely poem :) I hope you have a great weekend!