Friday 25 July 2014

Busy making jewellery!

After attending a jewellery making workshop on Wednesday, I spent a lot of time yesterday practising the techniques! I made these earrings for myself, these were really easy, I just took put the charms on earring hooks.

I'd actually wanted to make these into earrings for a long time.....

Next I made an elasticated bracelet using some gorgeous beads from a broken vintage necklace

The only challenge with an elasticated bracelet is getting the knot right and hiding it away neatly.

I then tried earrings using the same beads. I have to admit that making beaded earrings had been the most difficult part of the workshop for me. You need to put a pin through the beads, cut it and then manipulate it into a nice loop that fits neatly into the earring hook. Easier said than done and it will be a while before I can do this easily.

However, I made a few pairs of earrings yesterday with those lovely vintage beads and one pair is now in the Crafty Green Poet Etsy shop along with that bracelet.

I'll be making another bracelet and earrings set and then using the remaining beads to make more earrings.

At the jewellery making workshop we had the chance to buy a beginners jewellery making kit at a much reduced price. It includes pliers and cutting tools and a supply of beads, earring hooks and necklace fasteners. I also ordered a jewellery making board which arrived yesterday.

It let's you design and organise all kinds of beaded jewellery and is really quite useful!

As ever, red text contains hyperlinks that take you to other webpages where you can find out more.






6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that green set is very nice! malachite, maybe?

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi TexWis - I don't think its malachite, but you could be right....

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Those starfish earrings Rock!
Not that the other stuff doesn't. I'm just partial to all things sea. Whereas JB is partial to all things squirrel. ;)

eileeninmd said...

The earrings are cute! Lovely set! Have a happy weekend!

RG said...

Nice beading tool! Pretty work.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

The earrings and bracelet are fabulous - it will be handy having the board to design with.
Happy weekend
hugs
Carolyn