Thursday 28 November 2013

The moods of the sea and a weird goose



The waterfront at Musselburgh today. Out there, are goldeneye, eider, velvet scoter, a red throated diver and a shag. Only some of them are even in the shots and all of them are too far out to be identifiable in the photos, even if you click to enlarge, sorry, but click on each bird's name and you can find out more.

This goose has characteristics of a pinkfoot and of a whitefront, very confusing, possibly its a hybrid, I'm currently trying to get an answer from the experts, but if anyone knows, let me know in the comments. It was hanging out with Canada Geese and greylags (and gulls too!) at Musselburgh.

Edited to add: well it seems that the goose is likely to be a Canada / greylag hybrid! 



18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Pretty waterscapes and the goose is cute! It could e a hybrid! Have a happy day!

TexWisGirl said...

he's cute! :) beautiful seas, too.

Little Miss Titch said...

what ever he is he's lovely,xx Rachel

Little Miss Titch said...

what ever he is he's lovely,xx Rachel

Donna said...

Beautiful!!

Mary said...

He is indeed an odd goose, but he's very cute. I love being around birds and taking their photos once in awhile. Fascinating!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

A most wonderful goose. I love his personality. Those photos of the sea are beautiful. Always makes me happy and at peace.

Larry said...

I always consult with the experts myself when I'm not sure.Nice photo of the friendly looking goose. I see the eider has a small scratch on the top of its bill :)

Ms Sparrow said...

What an interesting goose! I suppose it hangs out with whatever kind of goose its mother was.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Love the sea, love the goose. Thank you for posting these, Juliet. :) maureen

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Great photos. The sea's solemnity blended, but heightened too, by the goose's "homeliness".

bunnits said...

Beautiful photos. I hope you are able to get an identity for your goose. I recently had an encounter with an odd one also. I've been thinking of posting photos to see if anyone can identify it.

RG said...

The tide rises - The tide falls ... peaceful seas.

Gillena Cox said...

well done, glad you got that goose sorted out

much love...

Rick Watson said...

I just popped over from Keith's Optimistic Existentialist blog.
Love your photos.
Rick, your latest follower.

Anonymous said...

wouldn't have a clue ;) but love the photos

Bill said...

waterfront
the birds too far out
to see

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

The sea photos are beautiful, love how calm it makes you feel.
The goose is lovely.
happy week
hugs
Carolyn