Tuesday 2 April 2013

Mosses and birds along the Water of Leith



I normally totally fail to take good photos of mosses, so I'm quite pleased with the way these came out! I don't know the species though, my moss identification skills are non existent.

I had a lovely walk around Colinton Dell by the Water of Leith today. I was totally delighted to happen upon a pair of  long tailed tits, making their nest! They took it in turns to take small amounts of material (I couldn't see what they were carrying, but I know they use lichens, spiders webs and feathers among other things). Then when each bird had added its piece it sat in the nest and wriggled around a bit to make sure it was comfortable! I'll try to keep an eye on the progress of the nest over the next few months.

I also had a very good view of a mistle thrush singing. I had never seen mistle thrushes in this area until the last couple of weeks, so it's good that its a bird that seems to be making its new home in the area (or just making itself more obvious to observers).

Also I had my closest ever sighting of a siskin, which normally sits away up in a tree, but today was hopping around in a bush very close to me, singing a lovely sweet song.

For Nature Notes

Just follow the links to find out more, the birds names link with their pages on the RSPB website, where you'll find much better photos than I'd ever be able to take, along with illustrations and sound files.

10 comments:

Little Miss Titch said...

That was lovely to see thank you for telling us,I spent the afternoon today out on a pile of cushions in the back garden with speedy even the the wind is cold it was quite sheltered so it felt warm and Speedy was zooming about at full speed having lots of fun,xx Rachel

eileeninmd said...

The mosses are pretty and what fun to watch the birds working on their nest. It sounds so cute. Glad you had a nice outing!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Beautiful moss. I always find it so soft and simple. Today I had lots of Purple Martin's flying around my front yard. I couldn't imagine what they were eating as it is still very chilly here. I adored watching them dance in the sky.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

The moss photos are lovely.
Often think how wonderful it is when you see how much work goes into building a nest.

Happy week
hugs
Carolyn

RG said...

We have many pine siskins that come in for the summer in big flocks. They have much less yellow - mostly wing streaks - and are small like a small sparrow.

Your siskin is quite a sight!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Sppedy, sounds like you had a nice afternoon!

Eileen, Carolyn - yes, it's always a treat to see birds building their nest

Michelle - how lovely to see the martins flying around!

Rabbits Guy - our siskins are very small too, but yes, very brightly coloured

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography of lovely moss for NN ~ ^_^

Andrea said...

Oh these are such beautiful photos of mosses and they are growing so nicely. Are those reddish something their flowers, i haven't seen them like that here!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Andrea, the reddish things are the fruiting bodies, I can't remember their proper name, but they're the equivalent of flowers or fruit

Rambling Woods said...

This is lovely..I can't wait till I can get out to enjoy...hugs..Michelle