Friday 15 March 2013

Lochend Park

I usually have a short walk round Lochend Park before going to the writing class I teach at the Ripple Project in the Lochend and Restalrig Community Hub. It's a small, very urban park with a sizeable pond. I'm fascinated by the drowned trees in the middle of the pond.

Yesterday I made friends with a shy coot, who hid away, but you can see it's funny feet in this photo.

The writing class went very well as it always does, everyone in the group is enthusiastic, full of imaginative stories and they all write brilliantly!

You can see more photos of Lochend Park in this post from last October.


12 comments:

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

The shy coot reminds me of an amazing seagull in the 90's, not so shy, who followed us on an Orkney island along the path, persistently, until we reached the cliff in front of the Old Man of Hoy.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

It took me a while but I finally spotted the shy feet!!

Ms Sparrow said...

There is something so special about meeting a wild animal like that!

eileeninmd said...

Those coots are cute with their funny feet. So glad you writing class is going well. Have a great weekend!

Caroline Gill said...

I love the coot! And what an interesting place to work, Juliet.

RG said...

They look funny walking!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

What a fun place to walk, before teaching your class.
Lovely little coot and yes, does seem a tad shy.

Enjoy the weekend
hugs
Carolyn

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love coots - we have one or two here on our beck who nest in our little wood every year.

Cuby said...

Urban are great places to find shy creatures who find a safe place to survive.On enlarging the photo there is so much there but of course the coot is the star.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

A beautiful place to clear your mind and get centered before teaching your class! I can tell you love what you're doing there; the students are so fortunate!

Lori Lipsky said...

I loved your beautiful walking view of drowned trees and funny feet. Such inspiration on the way to class!

I'm not sure I've ever seen a coot before.

bunnits said...

I love coots. We were at Ditto Landing the other day and saw several. Also one lone pied-billed grebe.
RG is right about coots walking. Clearly they are more elegant on water than on land.