Wednesday 24 November 2010

Imaginary Paintings by Charles Baxter

Imaginary Paintings is the third poetry collection from Charles Baxter. He writes understated poetry that is beautifully dreamy and atmospheric and charged with significance. He is a very visual writer (as can probably be expected from the title of this collection!) and he describes nature beautifully, weaving his descriptions into the narrative of his poems.

We are driving a gray road at night,
no signs, far from friends, out in the broken
country where trees whose names we don't know
ridge marshlands, shadow on shadow. Something
moves back and forth in the trees, ruffled
and winglike, which we might see
 if we stopped. We don't. Sparrows fly up

from County Road H

I had never read anything by Baxter before, but I would certainly be interested in reading more, now!

Imaginary Paintings by Charles Baxter, published by Paris Review Editions 1989

7 comments:

Dr. Cheryl Carvajal said...

Lovely sampling of his poetry.

Even more, the photo at the top of your page is fantastic! Wow!

I'm sorry I haven't visited lately. Things have been a bit overwhelming... but I had to comment on the pic.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Very evocative.

Gillena Cox said...

thanks for this sharing

much love
gillena

Carver said...

I'm not familiar with his poetry and I love that one.

Titus said...

I like those lines.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Like that, love the frosty header!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Very atmospheric poem, I like it!